Wednesday, July 1, 2009

So Here's The Skinny...


Last February I had the chance to work a scrimmage as an umpire for the Oregon Ducks on their brand new field. I had done a few of their games before but this was the first on the new turf. We ended up doing a kind of hybrid form of a games. Either way it caused me to run my butt off. I was exhausted during and afterward. I could not believe that I was having that hard of a time doing one of my favorite things. Umpiring. Never had I noticed that running on the field could be tiresome. I am young and could go all day. Well I had been lying to myself. Apparently I was out of shape. I left that day telling myself I love this work to much to have a hard to physically doing it. Well so I started to run. First day (and most) was on the treadmill. .5 mile, .75, 1.0, 1.5, 1.75, 2.0, 2.5, 3.5, and 5 miles. Well for the guy who said he would never run because he hated it changed. And for the good I might add.

Around the time I started running the discussion of me going to Florida for Umpire school came about. So it motivated me. I will be among the older half of students in the camp. I cannot control my age. So I must control what I can control... my shape, weight, and eagerness. So this was my first step in becoming a professional umpire.

Why tell us this today? Well because of today I am under 200lbs. Been there for a while now. I was 217lb last fall and am 198lbs now. Cool huh. All this with eating different and running consistently. I don't starve myself, actually I eat alot. I just eat better. Alot more fruit, veggies and whole grains. If I can get it in whole grain I do. I get out and run around 2 miles 5-6 days a week. So far it has worked. I still eat out and enjoy those foods. So any ways. Under 200! Oh and the picture is from last August. I rarely come out from behind the camera so no recent pic for you.

No comments: